Crack an egg and make like a pancake: it’s time to celebrate National School Breakfast Week (NSBW) once again!
What is NSBW?
This weeklong celebration was created to honor the National School Breakfast Program, which was established by an act of Congress in 1975.
Today, the NSBP serves more than 14 million children every day. And that number continues to grow. According to a survey by the School Nutrition Association (SNA), 96% of members stated that school meals program participation grows during NSBW.
That’s reason enough to celebrate!
What are the benefits of celebrating NSBW?
In addition to ramping up participation in your breakfast program, there are other perks, too. NSBW is a great time to:
- Let parents know that you’re serving nutritious and delicious breakfasts at school;
- Get media coverage for your program from local TV stations, newspapers, radio stations or bloggers;
- Remind administrators and teachers that you offer breakfast and ask them to spread the word.
How should we celebrate NSBW?
There are so many fun things you can do for National School Breakfast Week, and with the theme “Score Big with School Breakfast,” it should be easy to make the week a real slam dunk!
SNA includes a lot of cool promotional ideas in their NSBW 2021 Toolkit. Some of our faves include the following:
- Hanging paper stars and planets from the ceiling of the cafeteria and over the serving lines.
- Use words and phrases associated with space in your breakfast menu, like Big Bang, Milky Way, Space Cadet and Big Dipper.
- Name your cafeteria “Mothership” for the week and allow your staff to dress up like aliens or astronauts.
For more fun ideas, check out SNA’s NSBW 2021 Toolkit!
What’s the big deal about breakfast?
We know you’ve heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and this is completely true for children.
Children who eat breakfast (at school or elsewhere) experience the following:
- Better grades
- Higher test scores
- Better cognitive functioning
- More energy
- Better focus
- Increased memory
- And more!
Check out the infographic below for more facts on how eating breakfast impacts the success of children at school.
All-in-One Nutrition Management System for Easier School Food Service
Find out how an all-in-one school nutrition management system makes serving breakfast and every meal after a cinch.